Advanced Search

Author Topic: Native Coptic speakers?  (Read 1629 times)

31 May , 2014, 07:23:57 am
Read 1629 times

Offline Anok

Native Coptic speakers?
« on: 31 May , 2014, 07:23:57 am »
Ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ,

I have read that there are some Coptic speakers who speak Coptic as their mother tongue. Obviously this is wonderful and a very interesting subject. Does anyone have any links to these people? Interviews? Videos? Audio clips? Do they use the Old Bohairic pronunciation or the reformed one?

Also, I have heard of people in remote areas of Egypt that never stopped speaking Coptic. These people would have the most accurate pronunciation possible for us to know - and if they exist they would PROVE that Coptic never died as a language, not even by the conservative academic standards for a language being "dead."

I do not live in Egypt, but if any Egyptians here could find such people who have kept an unbroken lineage of Coptic alive, it would be a great service to the revitalization of the language, to publicize such findings.

Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ

31 May , 2014, 09:52:32 am
Reply #1

Offline ophadece

Re: Native Coptic speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 31 May , 2014, 09:52:32 am »
Ekhrestos anesty
Dear Anok,
By any linguistic definition the Coptic language is not dead..
Oujai
ari`hmot `slyl e;byten anon pi`cnau

31 May , 2014, 10:43:07 am
Reply #2

Offline Anok

« Reply #2 on: 31 May , 2014, 10:43:07 am »
Ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ,

I agree! But some claim that it did die, in the 17th century, saying that nobody learned it as their first language. It will be helpful to prove that this is wrong, to revitalize the language.

People keep saying that it is dead... I know you have heard this many times. And when people keep reading this, they will be less likely to learn. They will say "why should I learn a dead language?" Dead is a terrible word.

So it is good to gather evidence to say, "No, look; Coptic is alive. Come learn it." That is what I am looking for.
Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ

14 October , 2014, 12:50:19 pm
Reply #3

Offline BaMheeMooDang

« Reply #3 on: 14 October , 2014, 12:50:19 pm »
I'd love to hear more about what you're looking to do.