Advanced Search

Author Topic: New Editors' Rules?  (Read 5425 times)

05 December , 2014, 05:08:09 AM
Read 5425 times

Offline Anok

• People said thank you: 0

New Editors' Rules?
« on: 05 December , 2014, 05:08:09 AM »
Since I appear to be the only current editor, I'd like to propose a few new rules for anyone that joins me. I have found these to make the Wiki more functional, organized, and beautiful, and pages that do not follow these rules have often given me trouble.

I am certainly not a moderator here, so if you disagree for some reason, feel free to debate me here.

1. ALWAYS place pages in a category!!!

- A page without a category is hard to reach, easily lost and forgotten. All words should go in the category that is the upper-case Coptic letter that begins the word. For example, the last line on the page Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ is:
[[Category:Ⲁ]]
This is what allows you to see the word Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ in the letter index.

- However, do NOT categorize words requiring disambiguation. For example, Ⲁⲗⲉ has two entries: "Ⲁⲗⲉ mount" and "Ⲁⲗⲉ utensil of bronze." Instead, only the page "Ⲁⲗⲉ" should be in the category Ⲁ, and it should be a disambiguation page leading to both versions of Ⲁⲗⲉ. This is done like this:
'''Ⲁⲗⲉ can refer to:
*[[Ⲁⲗⲉ mount]]
*[[Ⲁⲗⲉ utensil of bronze]]

[[Category:Ⲁ]]
This keeps the letter index from becoming too cluttered with multiple versions of the same word.

2. Main pages should ALWAYS be capitalized, and use Sahidic

- The Wiki can't tell that lower-case and upper-case Coptic letters are the same. Therefore, Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ and ⲁⲛⲟⲕ end up being two separate pages, which is a problem. So if you create a new page, it MUST BE capitalized.

- Sahidic is the dialect of most extant Coptic texts, and therefore the dialect used in dictionaries like Crum for organization. All other dialects should be listed in the Variants section.

3. DO make redirect pages for non-Sahidic dialects.

- We want the Wiki to be searchable in all dialects, so even though all main word entries will be in Sahidic, create Bohairic, Fayyumic, Akhmimic and other dialects' pages, but create them as redirect pages to the Sahidic main page.

- If you try to create a word and it turns out that it conflicts with another word, proper disambiguation pages must be made.

4. Uncapitalized words should ALWAYS be redirected.

- Because of rule number 1, lower-case words should ALWAYS redirect to their upper-case main pages. For example, the page ⲁⲛⲟⲕ contains only:
#REDIRECT [[Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ]]
And it contains nothing else. This will cause ⲁⲛⲟⲕ to automattically redirect users to Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ.

5. Do not create new pages for examples.

- Examples of words should go in the main page of the appropriate words, in the Examples section under the Meaning section. Creating additional pages only disorganizes the wiki.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 05 December , 2014, 05:10:03 AM by Anok »
Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ

06 December , 2014, 02:01:12 AM
Reply #1

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• People said thank you: 12

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
Re: New Editors' Rules?
« Reply #1 on: 06 December , 2014, 02:01:12 AM »
I like all of these rules and don't really mind any of them.
We do have rules page for the wiki already http://wiki.danacbe.com/index.php/Rules
please update it with the new rules

06 December , 2014, 02:06:42 AM
Reply #2

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
« Reply #2 on: 06 December , 2014, 02:06:42 AM »
although I don't understand the reason behind Capitalizing the words.
most people searching in are more likely to search with small letters rather than capital letters

08 December , 2014, 01:08:24 AM
Reply #3

Offline Anok

« Reply #3 on: 08 December , 2014, 01:08:24 AM »
That is true, but I have been making both capital and non-capital pages to make the Wiki fully searchable, and believe that capitalized page titles look more professional.

However, maybe this is just because I read English natively, and lack of capitalization in Arabic / Masri has always been a little confusing to me.
Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ

08 December , 2014, 10:21:58 AM
Reply #4

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
« Reply #4 on: 08 December , 2014, 10:21:58 AM »
No, I meant even in English dictionary you would see all entries in lowercase.
for example: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cat?s=t
Its not a big deal for me though so long as people can find the word when they search with lowercase

08 December , 2014, 08:39:26 PM
Reply #5

Offline Anok

« Reply #5 on: 08 December , 2014, 08:39:26 PM »
I see what you mean now. I was following Wikipedia, but even Wiktionary uses lower-case.

Wiktionary also has a Coptic section now, but it is even smaller than ours, and more inaccurate - they have the entry Ⲁⲏⲟⲕ instead of Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ, for example... and they even say how to pronounce it like "aeok."

But I also noticed that Wiktionary can tell the difference between capitalized and uncapitalized Coptic letters. Is there any way to bring this functionality to our wiki?
Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ

08 December , 2014, 08:45:18 PM
Reply #6

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
« Reply #6 on: 08 December , 2014, 08:45:18 PM »
I suppose if I update my media wiki to its latest version it will also support Coptic unicode better.
The current version is pretty old and upgrading it would take some effort which I don't mind doing but not when we only have 10 entries or less

08 December , 2014, 09:12:46 PM
Reply #7

Offline Anok

« Reply #7 on: 08 December , 2014, 09:12:46 PM »
Well it is not a huge issue for now. I just need to create twice as many entries to keep the wiki searchable, as long as it thinks capital and non-capital letters are different. But those pages only have 1 line each, so it is not very time-consuming.

I will continue making more entries. If pages will be made unnecessary with better Unicode support, I will put them in a new Category. When you update, let me know, and I will see if the problem is fixed before deleting the unnecessary pages.
Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ

08 December , 2014, 09:18:36 PM
Reply #8

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
« Reply #8 on: 08 December , 2014, 09:18:36 PM »
I'd say don't bother with the redirection page.
Creation of pages with lowercase can be automated.
Deletion of pages with lowercase can also be automated (and even check first to make sure the page has no more than one or two lines)
Don't worry about technical issues

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11