Our Coptic language > Coptic Articles

قواعد نطق الحروف القبطية

<< < (2/4) > >>

copticray:
I studied Sahidic (Se3eedi) Coptic at Harvard last semester.
The Coptic scholars pronounce the Sahidic Coptic in some interesting ways, like:
Ⲫ : P +  H (not PH like in Pharmacy but P sound followed by H sound, more like "peh")
Ⲑ: T + H (again not TH like Three, but T sound followed by H sound)
Ϫ: Ch like Church
Ϭ: J (gem m3tsha)
Note: Sahidic switches those last two letters.

Here is a link to the book we studied from "Coptic in 20 lessons"
http://books.google.com/books?id=Y83UUpkdOMMC&dq=Coptic+in+20+lessons&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=aaEASs6IBoucMqyy2d4H&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#PPA8,M1

Admin:
You are 100% right about Ⲫ and Ⲑ
in sahidic dialect they are pronounced p-h and t-h
but this is not the case in Bohairic
I have read the book you mentioned, but each book gives different pronunciations for some letters
Sahidic dialect was dead long before the scientist start paying attention to Coptic Language
I am not sure, how or if the authors of these books really know the right pronunciation

if you have any scientific evidence of any kind regarding to the pronunciation of  Ϫ Or Ϭ (or any other letters) I would be glad to see it

but regardless of all this issues, pronunciation of a letter in sahidic dialect isn't always the same as its pronunciation in Bohairic dialect
for example the letter Ⲃ is "f" or "b" in shaidic but "w" or "b" in Bohairic and so on

copticray:
I totally agree that the Sahidic Coptic scholars may have problems in their pronunciation. one reason could be that they don't have certain phonetic values (e,g. can't say kh) , the other is that they don't care much about pronunciation, they are more concerned with the written literature and its translation.

An example of switching Ϫ with Ϭ and vice versa could be pϪoiec and tϬom

ophadece:
ⲕⲁⲧⲁ ˋⲫⲣⲏϯ ⲧⲁⲓⲙⲉⲗⲉⲧⲏ ⲑⲁⲓ (ⲃ) ⲥⲉⲉⲣⲥⲁϫⲓ ˋⲙˋⲫⲣⲏϯ ˋⲛⲟⲩ(ⲫ) - ⲁϣ ⲧⲉⲧⲉⲛⲙⲉⲩˋⲓ?
http://sites.google.com/site/pisakho/project-emi/coptic-toponymy-egypt
ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ ˋⲠϭⲤ

Admin:
In Bohairic Ⲃ is either pronounced B or W
In Sahidic  Ⲃ is either pronounced B or F

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go to full version