Advanced Search

Author Topic: Coptic Revitalists?  (Read 4462 times)

30 September , 2008, 09:00:27 PM
Read 4462 times

Offline AlexderFranke

• People said thank you: 0

Coptic Revitalists?
« on: 30 September , 2008, 09:00:27 PM »
Hello,
I am fascinated by the coptic church and the old egyptian, christian people. On Wikipedia I have read outings which say that coptic is not completely dead as conversational language. Therefore I would like to hear if there are revitalists who make efforts to revive it as spoken language in conversation. Do you know of revitalists in Egypt who have begun to speak coptic among themselves and in their homes like the cornish revitalists in Cornwall? On the internet there is the platform Remenkimi but I would like to know if there are also revitalists who speak it from face to face. On Wikipedia there are persons who claim to be able to speak coptic in everyday speech and I have even found a site with everyday phrases. Is it possible that there are conversation groups where they speak coptic? I have read about one family in Egypt. Other coptic speakers might not admit it publically because they are fearing the fundamentalist muslims.
Thank you very much in advance. By the way: I do not speak arabic!
Glory to Jesus Christ, Alex

02 October , 2008, 12:32:59 AM
Reply #1

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• People said thank you: 12

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
Re: Coptic Revitalists?
« Reply #1 on: 02 October , 2008, 12:32:59 AM »
Hello,
First of all Welcome to our forum
here is the answers of your questions
Therefore I would like to hear if there are revitalists who make efforts to revive it as spoken language in conversation. Do you know of revitalists in Egypt who have begun to speak coptic among themselves and in their homes like the cornish revitalists in Cornwall?
In the last century there was an attempt to revive the language
A person called "Basnanty" from Alexandria, learned Coptic and made it the spoken language of his family
by the time the members of his families increased and became famous
but by the increase of their numbers only a few number continued to speak Coptic and it is decreasing by the time for many obvious reasons
1- those people need to marry and they marry from other Copts who can't speak Coptic
so Arabic becomes the spoken language at home and their children only know Arabic

2- many think what is the benefit of learning Coptic

3- even if those people succeed, they pronounce the Coptic language in the malformed way that was introduced by the church in the past century
http://kame.danacbe.com/index.php/topic,2.0.html
and they way of pronunciation is very hard for most Egyptians to pronounce

4- In an interview with a member of this family called "Mona Zaky" she said that when she was young children used to laugh at her when she speak in Coptic and that she is not going to teach it to her children

notice that the malformed pronunciation makes Coptic looks as if it is Western language rather than old eastern language because it introduces foreign letters to our tongue such as V and TH and drop letters that previously existed like D and sometimes J

On Wikipedia there are persons who claim to be able to speak coptic in everyday speech and I have even found a site with everyday phrases. Is it possible that there are conversation groups where they speak coptic?
This is "Mona Zaky" I have just mentioned

I have read about one family in Egypt. Other coptic speakers might not admit it publically because they are fearing the fundamentalist muslims.
Not true, the family I know is very famous and many of them are very proud of that
Fundamentalist Muslims don't really care about something like that

18 October , 2008, 12:59:21 AM
Reply #2

Offline AlexderFranke

• People said thank you: 0

Re: Coptic Revitalists?
« Reply #2 on: 18 October , 2008, 12:59:21 AM »
Thanks for the answer. Meanwhile I have found other texts on the Coptic revival and have looked on the names on Wikipedia. There were a few persons who claimed to speak Coptic outside the liturgy. It was not Mrs Zaki! One text has stated that in fact some Coptic speakers in Egypt do not admit it in fear of Muslim fundamentalists. Marrying is in fact a problem. This could be resolved by teaching Coptic to children within the church.  God bless you, Alex

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11