Advanced Search

Author Topic: Coptic arts Monday, July 4, 2011 a script to enable Coptic in REDhat like Linux  (Read 5605 times)

04 July , 2011, 11:44:42 PM
Read 5605 times

Offline ⲗⲟⲣⲁⲛⲥ

• People said thank you: 0

a script to enable Coptic in REDhat like Linux distributions
a simple script I made to enable coptic in redhat like  linux distributions
it works for fedora  . redhat .  centos ...etc

tested in fedora 10 -11-12-13-14-15

and with some modifications can work with any linux distributon

and of course all the files in it  are  free  under the GPL

what is it

free Unicode Coptic fonts in the folder ttf                  to be put in /usr/share/fonts/TTF
cop is  coptic keybord file   in the folder kb               to be put in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols

some Xorg files modified and had cop  added to  in the folder  rules   to be put in /user/share/xkb/rules
install.fedora.sh   a shell script you use to install it   -must be used as root

coptic.sh   a shell script to run in case you use  a desktop environment other than KDE 4 or above and gnome 3    just put it in startup

enjoy

I will be happy if you decided to contact me  about any bugs problems issues or suggestions

http://www.4shared.com/file/x3vr9YwL/coptic-aa_1tar.html

http://copt-tux.blogspot.com/2011/07/script-to-enable-coptic-in-redhat-like.html

09 July , 2011, 04:01:25 AM
Reply #1

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• People said thank you: 12

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
It a great work, I am very thankful to your effort
but I have some notes

* I am sure ubuntu script will never work, did u forget to do cd ttf before copying the ttf files
* fedora script calls "whoami" why?
* what is the "rules" directory I think it will ruin your system if you have a different kind of keyboard
* DejaVu fonts are included although it can be installed using the user's package manager instead of replacing the user's possibly new version with your version
* still total size of fonts folder is 21M and contain fonts not related to unicode (for example CS fonts) so maybe we should ask the user first

I can help with the script, just tell me how (of if) you plan to handle those converns
Wish you best of luck, and thank you for your effort

11 July , 2011, 07:35:59 PM
Reply #2

Offline ⲗⲟⲣⲁⲛⲥ

thank you  for reviewing the script

* I am sure ubuntu script will never work, did u forget to do cd ttf before copying the ttf files
you are right  it 'll never work   actually ubuntu script is an unfinished project  that I forget about after starting  to work on  Coptic OS

but some day  I may install ubuntu and try to make it work  unless some one did it 1st

* fedora script calls "whoami" why?
just to remind  the user to become a root  :)  I do that mistake frequently

* what is the "rules" directory I think it will ruin your system if you have a different kind of keyboard
the changes that I made  that allowed KDE 4 & up   && Gnome 3  deals with cop just like any other keyboard

some of  those changes  trying to make Gnome - before Gnome3 -  accept Coptic keyboard  
but did NOT work  without  the script coptic.sh
that has the command
setxkbmap -layout "us,cop,ar" -variant "qwerty_digits" -option "" -option "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

Now it 's useless in Gnome 3   but it is good for whom uses other Desktop environment Like enlightnment  blackbox icewin .etc  

the rules directory  did NOT harm  my system  

* DejaVu fonts are included although it can be installed using the user's package manager instead of replacing the user's possibly new version with your version

that is a good point  

* still total size of fonts folder is 21M and contain fonts not related to unicode (for example CS fonts) so maybe we should ask the user first

well I thought  they  would help the people who have old documents written by NON unicode fonts and one of them I liked  so much that I could NOt ignore putting it    "coptic manuscript " I took from Abo Dokhana site

I can help with the script, just tell me how (of if) you plan to handle those converns

please  do  any modification you would like to do  
am just a newbie  in Linux but am trying to learn as much as I can  

so please modify it as you like  
and if you can  package it  to rpm  or other format  that 'll be  good  because I  could NOT  learn how to make an rpm file  

and please  keep me  up to date about the details of your modifications  for no reason but to learn more  

« Last Edit: 11 July , 2011, 07:41:40 PM by ⲗⲟⲣⲁⲛⲥ »

11 July , 2011, 10:27:05 PM
Reply #3

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
The way you share your code makes it very hard to change and share back
please create account on bitbuckt put your code in it
instructions can be found here
http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Getting+Started+with+Bitbucket
if you know csv, bitbucket is something similar (for code managment but uses mercurial instead)

you can learn about mercurial here http://wiki.amxmodx.org/Mercurial_Tutorial#Introduction
it is very important that you learn it if you want to share your code with others and let them modify it with you

12 July , 2011, 12:10:09 AM
Reply #4

Offline ⲗⲟⲣⲁⲛⲥ

12 July , 2011, 12:20:23 AM
Reply #5

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
perfect, now please make your repo public (because right now only you can see it)
and also please give me write access, I will send you my id in private message

12 July , 2011, 08:53:46 PM
Reply #6

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
Ok, i have added the files to your repo and made small fixes in fedora script, it now checks if the user is root or not
user the following command to get the latest changes
hg clone ssh://hg@bitbucket.org/lawrence/coptic (first time)
hg pull (while in the coptic's directory)

15 July , 2011, 11:35:56 PM
Reply #7

Offline ⲗⲟⲣⲁⲛⲥ

ⲁϩⲁ

ⲟⲩⲙⲏϣ ⲛ̀ϣⲉⲡϩ̀ⲙⲟⲧ 

oK 

thank  you

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11