Our Coptic language > Old pronunciation vs new debate

"Real" pronunciation of Coptic H

<< < (3/4) > >>

Anaksunamun:

--- Quote from: Admin on 25 September , 2014, 03:07:31 PM ---Its the first time for me to know that H had original u sound in ancient Egypt.
Would you like to give some examples about that?
Also I am pretty sure hieroglyphics didn't write down the vowels so how did you know Seth's name was Sutak?

--- End quote ---

You made me wrack my brain with some other examples of Coptic 'H' =Egyptian long "u", and I accidentally came across some more examples (these are examples from Loprieno Antonio 's book linguistic Egyptian language :

Coptic  (h)H -  Egyptian h3.t (beginning) [hu: Rit] **h has a dot under it**
     Coptic  (h)H -  Egyptian h(w).t (body) [hu: wat]  **h has a  _ under it**

Admin:
I don't know Coptic translation for the word "body".  what is the exact spelling of the Coptic word so that I can look it up?
as for the word beginning its proper spelling is ϩⲉ (pronounced ha or hae) and yes the ancient letter 3 was later replaced by any of the letters that had "a" sound (ⲁ, ⲉ, ⲏ) just like how English today replace 3 in Arabic names with the letter a. I don't see how does that example prove ⲏ was pronounced u

Anaksunamun:

--- Quote from: Admin on 27 September , 2014, 02:43:11 PM ---I don't know Coptic translation for the word "body".  what is the exact spelling of the Coptic word so that I can look it up?
as for the word beginning its proper spelling is ϩⲉ (pronounced ha or hae) and yes the ancient letter 3 was later replaced by any of the letters that had "a" sound (ⲁ, ⲉ, ⲏ) just like how English today replace 3 in Arabic names with the letter a. I don't see how does that example prove ⲏ was pronounced u

--- End quote ---

I'm sorry, I don't have access to Coptic letters on my device :(

But according to Loprieno Antonio, the spelling of the  Coptic word for "beginning" is the same spelling for "body", same word from two different hieroglyphic spellings with two different meanings in Coptic.

In my Coptic dictionary I am unable to find either word. I found that information within the book by Antonio Loprieno, it'sin my notes. 

Yes the 3 was later used as a vowel especially in Late Egyptian renditions of foreign words but according to the syllable structure there must be a vowel that precedes it or follows it if it was not used as a vowel in which case 'h3.t' was initially pronounced 'h_3 +_t'  not 'h3_t' and here I don't believe 3 represented a vowel but yet it was a consonant which did not make it to Coptic, as the Coptic rendition is (h)H with 3 and original feminine ending missing because it was no longer pronounced.

Admin:
I checked Crum and you are right its ϩⲏ not ϩⲉ
http://www.tyndalearchive.com/TABS/crum/ppages/CrumP164537.gif

Still as far as I am concerned that proves ⲏ was used for the ancient letter 3 . it doesn't prove ⲏ was pronounced u.

Anaksunamun:
Here's another example of 'H' = long Egyptian 'u' :

(Sahairic) KHME,  XHMT -  Egypt = (Egyptian)  km.t [ k(h)u: mat]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go to full version