Advanced Search

Author Topic: Force Coptic Support for Google Chrome  (Read 9612 times)

28 May , 2014, 02:04:01 PM
Read 9612 times

Offline Anok

• People said thank you: 0

Force Coptic Support for Google Chrome
« on: 28 May , 2014, 02:04:01 PM »
Ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ,

Although I installed all Coptic fonts, it still wouldn't display correctly in Google Chrome, showing  mostly squares, and only a few Coptic letters. However, I found a fix. Here are the steps:

1. Download and install the Code2000 unicode font here: http://home.bishoy.com.au/downloads/code2000.ttf

2. Open Google Chrome.

3. Click on the menu icon, then navigate to: Tools > Encoding > Unicode (UTF-8)

4. Turn on Auto detect in the same menu, if it is not on already.

5. Close and re-open Chrome. If necessary, restart your computer, too.

Coptic should now display correctly! I hope this helps others with my problem.

Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ
Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ

29 May , 2014, 10:50:50 AM
Reply #1

Offline ophadece

• People said thank you: 6

Re: Force Coptic Support for Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: 29 May , 2014, 10:50:50 AM »
Ekhrestos anesty
Dear Anok
What about chrome for mobiles? Does this apply?
Ⲁⲣⲓϩ̀ⲙⲟⲧ ϣ̀ⲗⲏⲗ ⲉϩⲣⲏⲓ ⲉϫⲱⲛ

29 May , 2014, 01:09:19 PM
Reply #2

Offline Anok

« Reply #2 on: 29 May , 2014, 01:09:19 PM »
No, Chrome for mobile is different. I spent several hours trying to figure out how to install Coptic for my mobile phone's Chrome but couldn't make it work.

I think it should be possible somehow because there are Coptic apps and even a Coptic keyboard  (which didn't work, sadly)... But I haven't found a fix yet.

If I get it to work, I will make a new thread explaining how.
Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ

31 May , 2014, 03:26:25 AM
Reply #3

Offline Anok

« Reply #3 on: 31 May , 2014, 03:26:25 AM »
I did a little more research.

If you have an Apple mobile device (or anything running iOS) then you can go to Chrome menu > Settings > Content settings and turn on "Auto-detect decoding," which I think is off by default.

If you do not have iOS, then I think that we will need to send messages to the Chrome for Mobile developer to ask for this feature to be added. Without it we cannot tell our mobile devices to use the necessary encoding.
Ⲁⲛⲟⲕ

31 May , 2014, 09:53:47 AM
Reply #4

Offline ophadece

• People said thank you: 6

« Reply #4 on: 31 May , 2014, 09:53:47 AM »
Ekhrestos anesty
Thank you dear Anok
oujai
Ⲁⲣⲓϩ̀ⲙⲟⲧ ϣ̀ⲗⲏⲗ ⲉϩⲣⲏⲓ ⲉϫⲱⲛ

19 September , 2017, 11:47:46 AM
Reply #5

Offline bashandy

• People said thank you: 5

« Reply #5 on: 19 September , 2017, 11:47:46 AM »
For PC you may want to refer to moheb.de it has excellent documentation on how to use Coptic on computers. You need at least one unicode font, and then to carry on the installation. If it works well & good, if not and you want to type a document in Coptic; you may want to check copticchurch.net & download the older CS fonts from their Coptic Fonts page. However, the CS is a temporary solution for small documents. CS fonts basically tricks the computer that this is a weird looking English font, hence the receiver on the other end MUST HAVE the same exact font that you are using otherwise it will read as English.
Then, I'd recommend to use an online converter to switch whatever text written in CS fonts (e.g. CS Avva Shenouda) to unicode http://www.copticproject.com/coptic/unicode-converter

An alternative method is to type on a website that provides an online unicode Coptic Keyboard then paste your text to your document e.g. http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/coptic.htm has good support for Coptic letters, you can either type (some letter as theta/teta is typed as a quick t+h otherwise you can use the mouse to select the letter.

For mobile phones, some older models, do not support Coptic so all apps won't work, the ones that support  would work well with most apps. The one that I'd highly recommend is SwiftKey Keyboard, it's the default keyboard app for many mobile phones, if it's not you can install it and make it the default. It has in-built Coptic language in its later versions. You can add the language just like adding any other language so that you don't have to switch between two different keyboard apps. It also has the added benefit of autocorrect, and text prediction. So, if you use it regularly, it will keep the words you use most and will make your life easier.  To date it's working well on newer Android phones, (< 1 year). I don't think it works on iPhone at present.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11