Projects > Coptic Wiki Dictionary

Dialect Priority

<< < (2/4) > >>

Anok:
Either way it is worth treating it like it's alive. We need to think of more ways to spread the language. If there are more people here looking to focus on reviving Coptic through Bohairic, it will be easy to transition the wiki to Bohairic since all the entries will be there.

I was thinking of making a category for each dialect... This would allow me to put the Bohairic redirect pages into their own listed pages... Therefore it would create a Bohairic dictionary page, while maintaining main wiki in Sahidic.

Thoughts?
 I tend to agree with Ophadece that Bohairic will be increasingly useful of Coptic becomes more popular. Nobody will argue that Sahidic is dead. I think it's value is mostly for enriching what is still spoken with its vocabulary.

Admin:
From the English dictionary:

--- Quote ---dead lanĀ·guage
noun
noun: dead language; plural noun: dead languages
    a language no longer in everyday spoken use, such as Latin.

--- End quote ---

Reviving Bohairic in the way it is now is very hard because of the introduction of letters many Egyptian still can't pronounce like [ Th and V ]. Teaching the old pronunciation is even harder - because most people want to learn to pray in the Church.
lake of none Christian books in Bohairic is another obstacle. if you learn Bohairic you are stuck with the bible - not even all of it - and some saint story and Church prayers

still I am not against reviving Bohairic and would support any effort in that direction

Anok:
Indeed, I am merely saying Bohairic because the majority of people interested in learning Coptic are in the Coptic Church and it uses Bohairic. I agree that the traditional pronunciation should be restored because it flows more naturally with the language, is more easily easily pronounced by speakers of Egyptian Arabic... And since I have heard there is a Coptic lexicon borrowed into Egyptian Arabic it would obviously be in the old pronunciation (as Maher points out in his pronunciation work)  and therefore more easily learned in every way by modern Egyptians.

I see some good steps as follows :

1. Try to spread the old pronunciation, its merits and importance to revival, especially to the church officials who are preserving the language and teaching it.

2. Spread interest in the language however possible. Make it clear that it is the Egyptian language and not just a Christian language, that the church has simply been preserving it.

3. Translate Sahidic and other works into Bohairic, and use words that do not exist  or are unknown in Bohairic to enrich is vocabulary.

4. Produce new Coptic media ; books, blogs, zines, music, video, anything. Make it a viable option to be exposed to Coptic throughout the day. Translate modern things into Coptic.

All of these things are projects that any of us could do no matter where we live.

ophadece:
Dear admin,
Don't rely on the internet English dictionary definition. By scientific standards neither Coptic or Latin is dead.
Oujai

Anaksunamun:
What about the other dialects too, like Akhmimic, Lycopolitan and Fayyumic?
Some of the vowels differ throughout the dialects and Fayyumic favors the letter 'L' in lieu ofCoptic 'P' (the English letter 'r') in most of their words. Fayyumic vocabulary is very difficult to find and it adds to the iintegral history of the pronunciation between ancient Egyptian and Coptic and thus just as important as Sahidic and Bohairic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go to full version