Our Coptic language > Old pronunciation vs new debate

Ancient Coptic Plurals pronunciation

<< < (2/2)

Anaksunamun:

--- Quote from: Admin on 26 September , 2014, 04:34:27 PM ---In Sahidic ⲑ is literally ⲧ + ϩ
You will never find any Sahidic word or sentence where  ⲧ is followed by ϩ because when that happen the two letters are replaced by ⲑ
In Bohairic ⲑ is always pronounced t as in (tea)
ⲧ is frequently used as "d" and in many manuscripts ⲧ and ⲇ interchange but ⲧ is also known to be pronounced t especially at the end of the word.
Greko Bohairic says ⲑ is always "th" as in english word the

We know ⲑ and ⲧ have close pronunciation (though not the same) because they tend to serve the same meaning
For example:i
We say ⲑ.ⲙⲁⲩ the mother but ⲧ.ⲥⲱⲛⲓ the sister. its ⲧ or ⲑ depending on the first letter of the following noun.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I totally agree with that :)

Originally Egyptian 'd' was probably pronounced like a clicked  't' and eventually it merged with regular 't' nonaspirated but upheld to an aspirated 't' in Bohairic, this sound probably sounded foreign to Akkadians, Arabs, Persians and Greeks since it's purely of African decent and to unify the language the sound became lost.  I truly believe that is the original pronunciation, the same goes with 'clicked' q/k, ch and aspirated p which sometimes became an 'f' sound because it was lightly pronounced.

I will definitely read about Crumm letter 'B'.  There's some oddities about that letter, sometimes it changed from Egyptian 'b' or semitic 'b' to Coptic /Egyptian  'm' and vice versa and sometimes it became  a 'w'. I don't fully comprehend why that is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go to full version