Advanced Search

Author Topic: Gospel of Thomas  (Read 4047 times)

04 April , 2017, 03:21:53 AM
Read 4047 times

Offline Aletheia

• People said thank you: 0

Gospel of Thomas
« on: 04 April , 2017, 03:21:53 AM »
I would like to know the English to Coptic translation of a specific phrase in the Gospel of Thomas:  "It is movement and repose."

The Coptic text of the Gospel is here - http://coptica.ch/Cherix-Thomas-txt.pdf - and the segment I'm trying to 'lift' from the text is at the very end of scripture (50)

Additionally, I'm wondering what the English to Coptic translation of "I am movement and repose." would be.

04 April , 2017, 05:22:24 AM
Reply #1

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• People said thank you: 12

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
Re: Gospel of Thomas
« Reply #1 on: 04 April , 2017, 05:22:24 AM »
Hi Aletheia,
Sorry for late response..

This document contain word by word translation
http://www.gospel-thomas.net/gtbypage_112702.pdf

I am not expert in Sahidic dialect so I hope this document is sufficient or that someone else can help.
Also I am not very sure what does f "I am movement and repose." means in English. U might want to add some context to your question

04 April , 2017, 10:14:12 AM
Reply #2

Offline Aletheia

« Reply #2 on: 04 April , 2017, 10:14:12 AM »
Thanks for the response!  While the document you shared is helpful, it seems it doesn't align entirely with the text that I shared.  Is it fair to say that the two translations are simply of different sources but the same meaning?  Is there a way to confirm which was in the original texts?

http://i.imgur.com/xmhWRS6.png

http://i.imgur.com/wjXIitw.png

As for "I am movement and repose" - it's a personal change of the wording "It is movement and repose" to signify the internalization of those words.  "I am" vs. "It is"  I have no idea on the working of the language to piece that together myself, however.

05 April , 2017, 12:43:25 PM
Reply #3

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
« Reply #3 on: 05 April , 2017, 12:43:25 PM »
The two images match. In the first one you included few words after the sentence whereas the second one has few words before it.

The word repose here is of a Greek origin, that's common in Coptic when translator can't (or sometimes doesn't want) to find Egyptian equivalent.

The inter linear translation is very accurate here.
Not sure if I answered your question? If not, it helps if you rephrase your request

06 April , 2017, 01:13:40 AM
Reply #4

Offline Aletheia

« Reply #4 on: 06 April , 2017, 01:13:40 AM »
Thank you; good to know of the accuracy as I'm going to have the phrase printed on something.

Would you be able to write out the phrase in Coptic script to confirm?  I don't want to omit or include any words that are not part of the phrase.

09 April , 2017, 02:21:33 PM
Reply #5

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
« Reply #5 on: 09 April , 2017, 02:21:33 PM »
The part you are looking for is not a complete sentence.
The complete sentence says:

If they ask you (pl.), What is the sign of your father who's in heaven, tell them (or say to them) a movement and repose it is. [ literally, a movement it is and a repose ]

22 June , 2017, 02:34:35 AM
Reply #6

Offline Aletheia

« Reply #6 on: 22 June , 2017, 02:34:35 AM »
Hey, delayed reply here...

So, within the Coptic language, would it be improper/not accepted to use just the segment of the sentence "A movement it is and a repose."  Context of the complete sentence isn't needed for the purpose of the translation, but I would like it to be accurate to the language and to specifically say "A movement it is, and a repose."

For example, would the text in the parenthesis of the photo below make sense on its own?

http://i.imgur.com/u6sVPw7.png

Thanks again!

22 June , 2017, 03:05:18 AM
Reply #7

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
« Reply #7 on: 22 June , 2017, 03:05:18 AM »
So, within the Coptic language, would it be improper/not accepted to use just the segment of the sentence "A movement it is and a repose."
It's certainly proper/accepted to use.

would the text in the parenthesis of the photo below make sense on its own
I'd first drop the initial ϫⲉ because it's not part of your desired sentence, it's part of "tell them that: "

The sentence "A movement it is and a repose."  would make as much sense in Coptic as it would make in English.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11