Our Coptic language > Ask

Practicing by Translation

(1/2) > >>

ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ:
Hello,

As a very newbie, I decided to strengthen my Coptic learning skills by translating some personal content e.g., from my homepage.
The main problem I am facing is the lack of modern vocabulary, which I try to overcome by carefully selecting words that are as close as possible to the original meaning. The lack of modern non-religious content that one can use to learn from (as a sample) is another one. Even newly created content in the form of Facebook posts is created as images, which can't be indexed by search engines.

Anyway, please excuse my long introduction. I am starting this thread to ask about the sentences that I fail to translate as they do, and hopefully could get an answer. :)

The first sentence is: "I am working under supervision of Mr. ...."
The closest I can get is: "ⲉⲓⲉⲣϩⲱⲃ ϧⲁ ⲡⲓϫⲓⲛⲭⲏ ϧⲁ ⲛⲏⲃ ...."
I relied on the verb ⲭⲏ as I saw "ⲫⲏⲉⲧⲭⲏ ϩⲓϫⲉⲛ" in M.D. (p. 513b) with a similar meaning: "المشرف على / القائم على" (IIRC).
I think one might also get another close meaning by using the verb ⲥⲟϭⲛⲓ to mean advised by.

Thanks a lot!

Admin:
I am not sure what M.D.is short for.
I tried to look in Crum, I could see that the word ⲭⲱ can indeed mean appoint but I couldn't find any example (not saying there isn't, just I couldn't find it).
If you can find an example or two that would be great.

I also would like to suggest the word ⲙⲉⲧⲣⲉϥϭⲓⲙⲱⲓⲧ  (=guidance) from ⲣⲉϥϭⲓⲙⲱⲓⲧ (guide), I feel this is closer to the word supervisor

ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ:
Oftentimes, I see others refer to Crum's Dictionary as just C.D. (e.g., [1]), hence I used M.D. to refer to Mo'awad Dawoud's dictionary, my mistake.

Here's an example:

Was my initial sentence grammatically correct? "ⲉⲓⲉⲣϩⲱⲃ ϧⲁ ⲡⲓϫⲓⲛⲭⲏ ϧⲁ ⲛⲏⲃ ...."

Indeed ⲙⲉⲧⲣⲉϥϭⲓⲙⲱⲓⲧ is a very close candidate to the word 'supervision'. Hence, "ⲉⲓⲉⲣϩⲱⲃ ϧⲁ ϯⲙⲉⲧⲣⲉϥϭⲓⲙⲱⲓⲧ ⲛⲧⲉ ⲛⲏⲃ ..." (not sure if it's grammatically correct, though)

Thank you!

[1] https://corpling.uis.georgetown.edu/coptic-dictionary/entry.cgi?entry=26&super=12

Admin:
Alright so luckily Mo'awad Dawoud has given us an authentic reference. (Acts 12:20)

--- Quote ---ⲈⲦⲀⲨⲐⲈⲦ ⲠϨⲎⲦ ⲘⲠⲖⲀⲤⲦⲞⲤ ⲪⲎ ⲈⲦⲬⲎ ϨⲒϪⲈⲚ ⲠⲒⲔⲞⲒⲦⲰⲚ ⲚⲦⲈⲠⲞⲨⲢⲞ ⲚⲀⲨⲈⲢⲈⲦⲒⲚ ⲚⲞⲨϨⲒⲢⲎⲚⲎ
having won over Blastus the king's chamberlain, they were asking for peace
--- End quote ---

After looking up the meaning of chamberlain, it can be deducted that ⲬⲎ ϨⲒϪⲈⲚ means "in charge of".

Now you could say "Mr. .... is in charge of me" but I think it has totally different meaning than the one u intend.

ⲉⲓⲉⲣϩⲱⲃ ϧⲁ ϯⲙⲉⲧⲣⲉϥϭⲓⲙⲱⲓⲧ ⲛⲧⲉ `ⲫⲛⲏⲃ ....

but you can also shorten it a bit
ⲉⲓⲉⲣϩⲱⲃ ϧⲁ `ⲑⲙⲉⲧⲣⲉϥϭⲓⲙⲱⲓⲧ `ⲙ`ⲫⲛⲏⲃ ....

The only thing I am not sure of is the red word  ϧⲁ, could be right or could be wrong. can't be sure until I find it in an authentic Coptic sentence

ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ:
Thanks a lot Admin for your answer.

That's the best we can get. I made up the 'ϧⲁ' word myself as direct translation from the English word 'under'. 'ϧⲉⲛ' might also be an option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go to full version