Advanced Search

Author Topic: Hieroglyphics/Coptic Course, by Andrew Earthrise  (Read 2520 times)

24 April , 2018, 08:01:20 PM
Read 2520 times

Offline Canis Majoris

• People said thank you: 7

Hieroglyphics/Coptic Course, by Andrew Earthrise
« on: 24 April , 2018, 08:01:20 PM »
I have created a course that allows you to learn hieroglyphs
(ϯμετνουϯ 𓏏𓄿 𓌃𓏏𓀁 𓊹𓁚)
while also learning the Coptic language. I hope you enjoy it.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/User:Aearthrise/Hieroglyphics/Egyptian_Course
« Last Edit: 01 May , 2018, 10:48:40 AM by Canis Majoris »
𓇋𓏌𓎡𓂀Ανοκ 𓅯𓄿𓏭πε 𓉐𓉻𓁈πουρο 𓈖ν 𓆎𓅓𓏏𓊖Χημι

24 April , 2018, 10:58:22 PM
Reply #1

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• People said thank you: 12

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
Re: Hieroglyphics/Coptic Course
« Reply #1 on: 24 April , 2018, 10:58:22 PM »
Hey!
Thank you for these good lessons.
I am still not so good at hieroglyphs so this a really good way to learn for me.

Questions:

* Are these hieroglyphs text authentic (i.e found them in some dictionary) or you made them up or mix?
I suppose that at least hieroglyphs for greek words are not authentic?

* I've learned before that the arm symbol correspond to the Arabic letter Ain ع
Did I mix up symbols or you say it's pronounced e for simplification?

* Not really a question but some the hieroglyph letters used in some words didn't have their pronunciation explained in the first section.

Overall, I think it's a really good idea. If hieroglyphs used in these lessons is authentic then I think these lessons are highly valuable and looking forward to see more

24 April , 2018, 11:51:48 PM
Reply #2

Offline Canis Majoris

« Reply #2 on: 24 April , 2018, 11:51:48 PM »
Hey!
Thank you for these good lessons.
I am still not so good at hieroglyphs so this a really good way to learn for me.

Questions:

* Are these hieroglyphs text authentic (i.e found them in some dictionary) or you made them up or mix?
I suppose that at least hieroglyphs for greek words are not authentic?

* Not really a question but some the hieroglyph letters used in some words didn't have their pronunciation explained in the first section.

Overall, I think it's a really good idea. If hieroglyphs used in these lessons is authentic then I think these lessons are highly valuable and looking forward to see more

The course will help Egyptians learn about their cultural heritage and spread the language of Egypt. Hieroglyphs are the most beautiful creation of the Egyptians, and  for that reason the project's goals are to show artistic beauty and  accuracy. The majority of the hieroglyphs for Egyptian words are authentic and taken from Classical Egyptian.

The Greek words were transliterated similar to how the Ptolemies wrote foreign words- they would use the hieroglyphs as vowels.

If you'd like to read more, I transliterated the first page of the book of Johannes in the bible. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/User:Aearthrise/Hieroglyphics/Johannes_1
« Last Edit: 25 April , 2018, 12:00:18 AM by Canis Majoris »

25 April , 2018, 12:04:10 AM
Reply #3

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
« Reply #3 on: 25 April , 2018, 12:04:10 AM »
first page of the book of Johannes looks impressive, of course I have very limited Hieroglyphs knowledge to judge it's quality. I am waiting for other members in the community to comment on that.

I'd personally appreciate if you differentiate between Hieroglyphs taken from authentic sources vs the ones that were not. (For example written in different color or followed by special character like (*)

Also how about my other questions?  ;D

25 April , 2018, 12:24:44 AM
Reply #4

Offline Canis Majoris

« Reply #4 on: 25 April , 2018, 12:24:44 AM »
The symbol does correspond to the consonant Ain, but only in Classical Egyptian. All symbols in Hieroglyphs were consonants/semi-consonants, but some of them disappeared from spoken language. Ρη(sun), 𓂋𓂝𓇳 would be pronounced 'rع' in Classical Egyptian, but in Coptic Egyptian it became 're'.
There are many different consonant glyphs in Egyptian, so I started with Ptolemaic vowels and the most common consonants. I expect to make a whole portion dedicated to all the consonants in the future.

first page of the book of Johannes looks impressive, of course I have very limited Hieroglyphs knowledge to judge it's quality. I am waiting for other members in the community to comment on that.
Thank you for the compliment!
« Last Edit: 25 April , 2018, 01:09:53 AM by Canis Majoris »

25 April , 2018, 12:49:05 AM
Reply #5

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
« Reply #5 on: 25 April , 2018, 12:49:05 AM »
And thank you for the lessons, looking forward for more