Our Coptic language > General

Sheheet

(1/1)

Penamoun:
Hotp ntoten m penamoun,  from the beginning of my scholarship of coptic and ancient egyptian i knew a place called Sheheet at sekhat hamsat (Natrun) where het is a form of heart in egyptian mythology, some proposed that it may have influenced the arabic word شهيد and in other semetic languages on grounds that natrun is place for natrun salt which is used in mummification and so related to the dead and also its called by this name which means the balance of hearts which is first process of judgement of the dead. and other say that isnot true, are they related?

Admin:
ϣⲓϩⲏⲧ original pronounced (she hat), consists of two words (she = measure/scale) and (hat = heart).
The word in it's original pronunciation doesn't resemble شهيدAlso since the word شهيد was mentioned in Quran, the word predate Arab invasion and makes it less unlikely that Arab took it from Coptic.It's possible that they got it from Egyptian language earlier but I've checked my Egyptian dictionary and none of the words meaning "scale" starts with "sh", usually "kh".

I am not sure why it was called ϣⲓϩⲏⲧ or whether this has anything to do with Natrun salt. I leave this to someone with better knowledge than me.

Penamoun:
Well, i just heard that assumption i myself would say it has its semetic origins, but i dont think too Sheh (scale) existed in this form but it had other words, Thanks

bashandy:
The Arabic word Shaheed comes from the triliteral route sh.h.d (to testify). The Coptic word is a combination of two words. I am not aware of any comparative study that linked both words especially, that both probably have different etymologies. It would be helpful if you could cite the reference to this claim for appraisal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go to full version