Advanced Search

Author Topic: Does anyone know if there is a specific Demotic alphabet?  (Read 1940 times)

23 January , 2020, 07:40:38 PM
Read 1940 times

ⲧⲁⲛⲓⲉⲗ ⲅⲓⲣⲅⲓⲥ

I was looking for a list of Demotic letters and the letters they correspond to in Coptic. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks

28 January , 2020, 05:36:13 PM
Reply #1

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• People said thank you: 12

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
Re: Does anyone know if there is a specific Demotic alphabet?
« Reply #1 on: 28 January , 2020, 05:36:13 PM »
Demotic is using the hieroglyphic writing system. Unlike English for example where there is a letter for each sound (i.e alphabet), Egyptian writing system had some symbols that represent one sound (like English), other symbols that represent two sounds and others that represent 3 sounds and others (called determinative), didn't represent any sound at all but rather gives you a clue what the word means.
You might find demotic symbols that represent most of the Coptic alphabet  (except some vowels) but that's not the whole writing system.

Anyway, I found many tables for you that show some of the demotic letters and their pronunciation. since I can't verify accuracy of any of the results, I will give you link to search result so you can take what you feel is correct.

12 May , 2020, 04:35:19 PM
Reply #2

Offline Andrew

• People said thank you: 3

Re: Does anyone know if there is a specific Demotic alphabet?
« Reply #2 on: 12 May , 2020, 04:35:19 PM »
I was looking for a list of Demotic letters and the letters they correspond to in Coptic. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks

https://omniglot.com/writing/egyptian_demotic.htm

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11