Advanced Search

Author Topic: How do you say 2 (Asking about food at home)  (Read 2340 times)

19 March , 2021, 09:01:30 PM
Read 2340 times

ⲛⲟϩⲁ

How do you say 2 (Asking about food at home)
« on: 19 March , 2021, 09:01:30 PM »
Ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ ⲉϩⲟⲩ!
I would like to ask about how to translate the following conversation to Boharic, as I want to add it to the language learning app I'm developing
I also think people searching on google or in this forum will find it useful  :)
I think thank conversationary content is what will ultimately help people speak.
I appreciate in advance all those who take the time to translate, I know its not easy.

Note: if possible let it all be present tense only expressions.

I'm hungry
Do we have food? (3andena akl?)
like what?
Is there eggs? (fi beid?)
yes, there is eggs. (aywa fi beid)
Do we have bread?
Yes we have bread. (aywa 3andena 3ish)

are you enjoying?/How is the meal? (eh akhbar el akl?, 3agbek el akl?) - Present tense
It's great, I'm full! (7elw awe, ana shab3an)

spererate words: Meat (la7ma), Chicken, Rice

ϣⲉⲡϩⲙⲟⲧ
ⲛⲟϩⲁ

22 March , 2021, 10:19:07 AM
Reply #1

Offline ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

• People said thank you: 8

Re: How do you say 2 (Asking about food at home)
« Reply #1 on: 22 March , 2021, 10:19:07 AM »
ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ ⲛⲟϩⲁ,

Ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ ⲉϩⲟⲩ!
I would like to ask about how to translate the following conversation to Boharic, as I want to add it to the language learning app I'm developing
I also think people searching on google or in this forum will find it useful  :)
I think thank conversationary content is what will ultimately help people speak.
I appreciate in advance all those who take the time to translate, I know its not easy.

Note: if possible let it all be present tense only expressions.

I'm hungry
Do we have food? (3andena akl?)
like what?
Is there eggs? (fi beid?)
yes, there is eggs. (aywa fi beid)
Do we have bread?
Yes we have bread. (aywa 3andena 3ish)

are you enjoying?/How is the meal? (eh akhbar el akl?, 3agbek el akl?) - Present tense
It's great, I'm full! (7elw awe, ana shab3an)

spererate words: Meat (la7ma), Chicken, Rice

ϣⲉⲡϩⲙⲟⲧ
ⲛⲟϩⲁ
Your posts are getting deleted, which makes the whole thread hard to follow for others who weren't following it from the beginning. Hence, I'm quoting your whole post first, then I'll break it down and answer it piece by piece. My answer will be long and I might make a few typos or mistakes, so others please correct me if I'm wrong. Again like my answers to your previous thread, I'll use Arabic 'alef' to represent IPA 'a' sound [1], and I'll use Arabic 'fat-ha' to represent IPA 'ɛ' voice [2].

Ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ ⲉϩⲟⲩ!
It's 'ⲉϩⲟⲟⲩ' not 'ⲉϩⲟⲩ'!

Unfortunately, I think Google doesn't index our threads anymore*.

I'm hungry
ϯϩⲟⲕⲉⲣ
دي هوكَر
ϯ: singular 1st person dependent pronoun in the first present tense (i.e. present tense). ⲁⲛⲟⲕ is the independent pronoun for the singular 1st person.
ϩⲟⲕⲉⲣ: hungry.
Note that in Coptic we don't conjugate verbs but we mainly change the dependent pronouns to reflect verb tenses.

Do we have food?
ⲟⲩⲟⲛⲧⲉⲛ ⲟⲩⲟⲩⲱⲙ?
وّوُن دَن أوُ وّوُم
ⲟⲩⲟⲛ: there is.
ⲟⲩⲟⲛ//: there is (with).
ⲧⲉⲛ: for the plural 1st person (i.e. English 'us').
ⲟⲩⲟⲛⲧⲉⲛ: there is with us (يوجد عندنا).
ⲟⲩ: singular indefinite article (i.e. English 'a').
ⲟⲩⲱⲙ: food (masculine word).
Note: you may also prepend the Greek 'ⲙⲏ' (مي) in the beginning for yes/no questions but I prefer not to use it.

like what?
You may use the following to ask about the type.
ⲁϣ `ⲛⲣⲏϯ?
آش إن رَدي
ⲁϣ: what?
ⲣⲏϯ: you already know it from the previous post!

You could also use something like:
ⲧⲉⲛⲟⲩⲱⲙ `ⲛⲟⲩ?
دَن وّوُم إن أوُ
ناكل ايه؟
ⲧⲉⲛ: plural 1st person dependent pronoun in the first present tense (i.e. English 'we'). I think the first future tense might be better in this case, but you only wanted to use the present tense.
ⲟⲩⲱⲙ: verb to eat.
ⲛⲟⲩ: what (ايه).
ⲧⲉⲛⲟⲩⲱⲙ `ⲛⲟⲩ?: what are we eating?

Is there eggs?
ⲟⲩⲟⲛ ϩⲁⲛⲥⲱⲟⲩϩⲓ?
وّوُن هان سا أوهي
ⲟⲩⲟⲛ: there is.
ϩⲁⲛ: plural indefinite article (i.e. Spanish 'unos' or 'unas').
ⲥⲱⲟⲩϩⲓ: egg (feminine word).

yes, there is eggs.
ⲥⲉ, ⲟⲩⲟⲛ ϩⲁⲛⲥⲱⲟⲩϩⲓ.
سَ، وّوُن هان سا أوهي
ⲥⲉ: yes.
or
ⲁϩⲁ, ⲟⲩⲟⲛ ϩⲁⲛⲥⲱⲟⲩϩⲓ.
أها، وّوُن هان سا أوهي
ⲁϩⲁ: yes.

Do we have bread?
ⲟⲩⲟⲛⲧⲉⲛ ⲟⲩⲱⲓⲕ?
وّوُن دَن أوُ أوُيك
ⲟⲩⲟⲛⲧⲉⲛ: I already explained it above.
ⲟⲩ: singular indefinite article.
ⲱⲓⲕ: bread (masculine word).

Yes we have bread.
ⲥⲉ, ⲟⲩⲟⲛⲧⲉⲛ ⲟⲩⲱⲓⲕ.
سَ، وّوُن دَن أوُ أوُيك
or
ⲁϩⲁ, ⲟⲩⲟⲛⲧⲉⲛ ⲟⲩⲱⲓⲕ.
أها، وّوُن دَن أوُ أوُيك

How is the meal?
ⲁϣ ⲡⲉ `ⲫⲣⲏϯ `ⲙ`ⲫⲟⲩⲱⲙ?
آش بَ إب رَدي إم إب وّوُم
ⲁϣ: what.
ⲡⲉ: copula (for masculine words).
`ⲫ: weak singular masculine definite article (i.e. English 'the') (comes before 'ⲣ', review your previous thread for more information). We use a weak definite article because both the speaker and the listener know exactly which meal they are talking about.
ⲣⲏϯ: condition/status.
`ⲙ: possession marker (review your previous thread for more information).
`ⲫ: singular masculine definite article.
ⲟⲩⲱⲙ: food.

It's great,
You could just say:
ⲛⲁⲛⲉϥ
نانَف
ⲛⲁⲛⲉ//: good
ϥ: ⲟⲩⲱⲙ is masculine word so we use 'ϥ' (if the word was feminine we use 'ⲥ'). Note that ⲛⲁⲛⲉⲥ can also be used to mean okay.
or
ⲛⲁⲛⲉϥ `ⲉⲟⲩⲱⲙ
نانَف أ وّوُم
شهيّ الأكل
`ⲉ: preposition that usually means 'to'.
ⲛⲁⲛⲉϥ `ⲉⲟⲩⲱⲙ: it's good to be eaten / it's good for eating.

You may append 'ϯϣⲉⲡϩⲙⲟⲧ ⲛⲧⲉⲛ ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ' (الحمدلله) (دي شَب إهموت إندَن إبنودي) to the answers above.

I'm full!
I'm not sure about this one - I hope someone else will jump in and help if I'm mistaken - but you probably could use:
ϯⲧⲥⲏⲟⲩⲧ
دي إد سَوّوت

Meat (la7ma),
ⲁϥ: meat (masculine word). Note that the word 'ⲁϥ' also means a 'fly'.
أف

Chicken,
ⲉⲣϫ (also ⲉⲣϫⲱ): chicken (feminine word).
أرچ

Rice
I'm not sure if there was a dedicated Coptic word for rice, but I've seen others use the word 'ⲁⲣⲣⲟⲥ' (masculine word) for rice which seems to either be a neologism (newly coined word) or a Greek loanword. I would just use 'ⲁⲣⲣⲟⲥ' (أرّوس) as it's the standard word for rice in many languages including Arabic.

ϣⲉⲡϩⲙⲟⲧ
ⲙⲙⲟⲛ ϩⲗⲓ
إممون إهلي

ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ,
ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_front_unrounded_vowel
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mid_front_unrounded_vowel
* https://kame.danacbe.com/robots.txt
« Last Edit: 23 March , 2021, 12:16:30 AM by ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ »

24 March , 2021, 03:39:06 AM
Reply #2

Offline ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

• People said thank you: 8

Re: How do you say 2 (Asking about food at home)
« Reply #2 on: 24 March , 2021, 03:39:06 AM »
Ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ ⲉϩⲟⲟⲩ!
ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ ⲛⲟϩⲁ!

ϣⲉⲡϩⲙⲟⲧ ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ!
ⲙⲙⲟⲛ ϩⲗⲓ.

Again, I'll be quoting your whole post but this time at the end of my reply, just in case your post gets deleted.

I am already studing what you have written, I don't have any questions so far, seems really clear, thanks for the amazing answer. I will be working hard to bring a prototype soon which Im working to include letter lessons and this food lesson.
I can sense your progress, it hasn't been so long since your last questions and yet you're here again.

I am recording my own voice and I am aware I make mistakes, but I hope once I share the prototype that the community may correct me and I may fix it,
I'm sure there're people out there who are willingly ready to help you with the recording. For instance the guys that are recording weekly lessons on CSat, you just need to reach out to them and they will lend you a hand for sure. Also listening to more than just a single voice helps better with developing the learners' listening skills.

Regarding my posts being deleted, do you know why thats happening?
I'm not really sure what's going on here, I'm not the admin of these forums. However, I've seen a similar incident that happened to another guest before.

If its because I'm a guest, I have already tried to create an account but I never recevied a confrimation mail (tried to request it tens of times)
I guess this might have something to do with the antispam filters employed by big mail providers, or it could possibly be a problem with how mail servers are configured here on the forums (e.g., absence of DKIM or SPF). I would advise you to try a different mail provider (possibly protonmail?).

ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ ⲡϭⲟⲓⲥ,
ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

Ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ ⲉϩⲟⲟⲩ!

I am already studing what you have written, I don't have any questions so far, seems really clear, thanks for the amazing answer. I will be working hard to bring a prototype soon which Im working to include letter lessons and this food lesson.

I am recording my own voice and I am aware I make mistakes, but I hope once I share the prototype that the community may correct me and I may fix it,

Your posts are getting deleted, which makes the whole thread hard to follow for others who weren't following it from the beginning. Hence, I'm quoting your whole post first, then I'll break it down and answer it piece by piece.

Regarding my posts being deleted, do you know why thats happening?
If its because I'm a guest, I have already tried to create an account but I never recevied a confrimation mail (tried to request it tens of times)

ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ,
ⲛⲟϩⲁ

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11