Advanced Search

Author Topic: Translation of (I'm cooking/cleaning/working)  (Read 2137 times)

11 April , 2021, 06:54:01 PM
Read 2137 times

ⲛⲟϩⲁ

Translation of (I'm cooking/cleaning/working)
« on: 11 April , 2021, 06:54:01 PM »
Ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ!

I have tried to look at many resouces to translate the following verbs to present continuous in Boharic,

This is what I was able to reach:

I'm cooking: ⲉⲓⲫⲁⲥⲓ
I'm cleaning: ⲉⲓⲣⲱϧⲓ
I'm working: ⲉⲓϩⲱⲃ
I'm busy: ⲉⲣϩⲓⲏⲃ

Is this right? I feel these are very common verbs to use, and I hope someone has the answer.
ϣⲡⲉϩⲙⲟⲧ.

12 April , 2021, 12:56:48 AM
Reply #1

Offline ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

• People said thank you: 8

Re: Translation of (I'm cooking/cleaning/working)
« Reply #1 on: 12 April , 2021, 12:56:48 AM »
Ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ!

I have tried to look at many resouces to translate the following verbs to present continuous in Boharic,

This is what I was able to reach:

I'm cooking: ⲉⲓⲫⲁⲥⲓ
I'm cleaning: ⲉⲓⲣⲱϧⲓ
I'm working: ⲉⲓϩⲱⲃ
I'm busy: ⲉⲣϩⲓⲏⲃ

Is this right? I feel these are very common verbs to use, and I hope someone has the answer.
ϣⲡⲉϩⲙⲟⲧ.

ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ ⲛⲟϩⲁ,

First, no need to use the third present tense. We can just use the first present tense in the sentences you wrote. Take a look at the following for a quick overview on the differences between verb tenses in Coptic:

Second, please note the following:
  • Verb to cook is "ⲫⲓⲥⲓ" not "ⲫⲁⲥⲓ".
  • Verb  to work is "ⲉⲣϩⲱⲃ" while "ϩⲱⲃ" is the noun.
  • "ⲉⲣϩⲓⲏⲃ" doesn't mean what you want. You probably could use something like "ϯ`ⲥⲣⲱϥⲧ ⲁⲛ" (أنا مش فاضي).

ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ,
ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

13 April , 2021, 07:43:46 AM
Reply #2

Offline ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

« Reply #2 on: 13 April , 2021, 07:43:46 AM »
Ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ Ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ,

Ⲡⲉⲕⲣⲏϯ ⲟⲩ?

Ϣⲡⲉϩⲙⲟⲧ ̀ⲉⲙⲁϣⲱ!

Ⲁⲓⲕⲁϯ

The picture you sent from the group helped me understand a lot, I fixed as follows:

ϯⲉⲣϩⲱⲃ
ϯⲣⲱϧⲓ
ϯⲫⲓⲥⲓ

ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ,
Ⲛⲟϩⲁ

ϯⲙⲉⲓ ⲙⲉⲧⲣⲉⲙⲛⲭⲏⲙⲓ

Ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ Ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ,
ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ

Please note that Egyptians didn't use uppercase characters in the beginning of each sentences (as in English), nor did they use them in the beginning of each noun (as in German). Egyptians mostly used them in the beginning of paragraphs. You can image search Google for Coptic manuscripts and see for yourself.

Ⲡⲉⲕⲣⲏϯ ⲟⲩ?
ϯⲟⲩⲟϫ, ⲟⲩⲟϩ ⲛⲑⲟ?

Ϣⲡⲉϩⲙⲟⲧ ̀ⲉⲙⲁϣⲱ!
ⲙⲙⲟⲛ ϩⲗⲓ

Ⲁⲓⲕⲁϯ
ⲛⲁⲛⲉⲥ. ⲙⲓⲟ!

ϯⲙⲉⲓ ⲙⲉⲧⲣⲉⲙⲛⲭⲏⲙⲓ
ⲟⲩⲟϩ ϯⲙⲉⲓ ⲛϯⲙⲉⲧⲣⲉⲙⲛⲭⲏⲙⲓ ⲟⲛ

Please note that Coptic verbs can have multiple forms (aka states). The form 'ⲙⲉⲓ' is the absolute form for verb 'ⲙⲉⲓ' (to love) which requires ⲛ/ⲙ to link the verb with its object. However, if you don't want to use ⲛ/ⲙ then you have to use the nominal state (aka construct state) of the verb which is 'ⲙⲉⲛⲣⲉ-'. In this case, you would say: ϯⲙⲉⲛⲣⲉ ϯⲙⲉⲧⲣⲉⲙⲛⲭⲏⲙⲓ.

ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ,
Ⲛⲟϩⲁ
ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ ⲡϭⲟⲓⲥ,
ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

19 April , 2021, 03:07:14 PM
Reply #3

Offline ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

« Reply #3 on: 19 April , 2021, 03:07:14 PM »
Ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ !

ϯⲟⲩⲟϫ, ⲟⲩⲟϩ ⲛⲑⲟ?

ⲛⲁⲛⲉⲥ ϣⲉⲡϩⲙⲟⲧ!
ϯⲱϣ ⲟⲩⲟϩ ϯⲉⲣϩⲱⲃ

Please note that Egyptians didn't use uppercase characters in the beginning of each sentences (as in English), nor did they use them in the beginning of each noun (as in German). Egyptians mostly used them in the beginning of paragraphs. You can image search Google for Coptic manuscripts and see for yourself.

ⲙⲟϣⲓ, ⲁⲓⲕⲁϯ

I came across an interesting software by Osama thabet here: https://archive.org/details/setup_20180918_1258

And I used it to translate the same phrases, It can translate (جمله فعليه) (action sentence ) in present tense from arabic to coptic.
I got the same results for working and cleaning plus many alternatives:
I'm working: ϯⲁⲓ, ϯⲉⲣ, ϯⲉⲣϩⲱⲃ...
I'm cleaning: ϯⲣⲱϧⲓ, ϯⲣⲁϧ, ϯⲓⲁ...

The issue in the dictionary is that is doesn't say whats Boharic or Sahidic, or give any definition.

For cooking, I didn't get ϯⲫⲓⲥⲓ, I got the below for example:
I'm cooking: ϯⲫⲉⲥ, ϯⲑⲱⲕ

What do you think ?
ⲡⲉⲕⲫⲱϣ̀ⲛϩⲏⲧ ⲟⲩ?

ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ ⲡϭⲟⲓⲥ,
ⲛⲟϩⲁ

ⲛⲁⲛⲉ ⲧⲟⲟⲩⲓ ⲛⲟϩⲁ,

Sorry, I'm not aware of that dictionary nor its authenticity. Some of the alternative translations as you call them are in fact the same verb but in different states/forms (please refer to my previous post). For instance "ⲁⲓ" is the pronominal state for the verb "ⲓⲣⲓ" while "ⲉⲣ" is its nominal/construct state. The absolute state "ⲓⲣⲓ" expects "ⲛ/ⲙ" to follow, but the construct state "ⲉⲣ" doesn't. On the other hand, the pronominal state "ⲁⲓ" expects a pronoun attached at the end of the verb.

"ⲫⲓⲥⲓ" is definitely the most commonly used verb for cooking. "ⲫⲉⲥ" is the construct state for "ⲫⲓⲥⲓ". In order to differentiate between the different verb forms, dictionaries usually write the construct state of the verb with a "-" at the end of the form, while they write the pronominal state with a "//" at the end (e.g., ⲓⲣⲓ, ⲉⲣ-, ⲁⲓ//).

Hope that helped.

ϩⲱⲧⲡ,
ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ
« Last Edit: 19 April , 2021, 03:10:07 PM by ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11