Our Coptic language > Old pronunciation vs new debate

Arabic names in Old Nubian

(1/1)

ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ:
ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ,

I stumbled upon the following old reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/arabs/comments/ljl0u1/arabic_names_found_in_old_nubian_manuscripts/

The post lists a number of Arabic names and how they were written in Old Nubian. And as you know, Old Nubian borrowed the Coptic alphabet, adding to them a few letters from Meroitic. You can clearly see that 'ⲧ' was used in place of Arabic 'dal' (English 'd'), except in one name in list (Turki), even though Old Nubian also borrowed 'ⲇ' from Coptic. Which happens to agree more with the Authentic Coptic pronunciation (i.e. 'ⲧ' has two sounds). Also note that Nubians recently adopted a more Modern Greek pronunciation, so they now use 'ⲧ' solely for 'T'.

ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ

ophadece:
[size=78%]Very useful and enlightening.. Thanks a lot dear ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ : I also note the use of ⲉ in place of the diacritic mark fatha, which again does not conform to the rules of Greco-Bohairic..[/size]
[size=78%]Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ ⲡϭⲥ [/size]

ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ:
ⲙⲙⲟⲛ ϩⲗⲓ ophadece! Indeed the use of 'ⲉ' in Old Nubian doesn't conform with the rules of the Greco-Bohairic pronunciation. I think most of the work out there (academic or not) about the Bohairic pronunciation ignore clues from Old Nubian. The reason is that researchers are usually working on one language but not the other. Also the researchers working on Old Nubian should benefit from the Coptic pronunciation. For example in the link that I shared in my previous post, the transliteration of 'ⲧ' was 't' while the Arabic translation was 'd', that's because the creator of the post had no idea that at the time they borrowed the Coptic alphabet, 'ⲧ' was actually pronounced as 'd'.

I would also like to add that the issue isn't about proving that Greco-Bohairic is wrong, because indeed it is. The issue is more about proving the correctness of the authentic Bohairic pronunciation. In my opinion, the debate should be about the authentic Bohairic pronunciation versus the academic one which is based on the Koine Greek pronunciation.

ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ

ophadece:
Ⲡⲁⲙⲉⲛⲣⲓⲧ Ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ,
Ϯϯⲙⲁϯ ⲛⲉⲙⲁⲕ ⲉⲡⲧⲏⲣϥ : ⲛ̀ϩⲣⲏⲓ ϧⲉⲛ ⲥⲁϫⲓ ⲛⲓⲃⲉⲛ ⲉⲧⲁⲕϫⲟⲧⲟⲩ
Ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ ⲡϭⲥ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go to full version