Advanced Search

Author Topic: "Bohairicizing" a text in the Sahidic dialect  (Read 1126 times)

14 January , 2023, 08:05:40 AM
Read 1126 times

Marlene

"Bohairicizing" a text in the Sahidic dialect
« on: 14 January , 2023, 08:05:40 AM »
Hello, is there anyone with knowledge of both Sahidic and Bohairic dialect to be able to convert one to the other?

Is it possible to "Bohairicize" some words which are only attested to in Sahidic?  I don't want to end up replacing every Sahidic word with a Greek loan word, so are there any common rules to know about converting the spelling between the two?

For example, it often seems like in Bohairic, the 't' at the end of a word like "NOYt" is often rendered as "TE" in Sahidic, like in "NOYTE."  So that in general, whenever you see a 't' in Bohairic it's equivalent in Sahidic is often "TE."

Are there any sorts of rules like that I could apply to the Sahidic text, to "Bohairicize" it?

Thank you for your help.

14 January , 2023, 09:46:23 AM
Reply #1

Offline ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

• People said thank you: 8

Re: "Bohairicizing" a text in the Sahidic dialect
« Reply #1 on: 14 January , 2023, 09:46:23 AM »
Hello, is there anyone with knowledge of both Sahidic and Bohairic dialect to be able to convert one to the other?

Is it possible to "Bohairicize" some words which are only attested to in Sahidic?  I don't want to end up replacing every Sahidic word with a Greek loan word, so are there any common rules to know about converting the spelling between the two?

For example, it often seems like in Bohairic, the 't' at the end of a word like "NOYt" is often rendered as "TE" in Sahidic, like in "NOYTE."  So that in general, whenever you see a 't' in Bohairic it's equivalent in Sahidic is often "TE."

Are there any sorts of rules like that I could apply to the Sahidic text, to "Bohairicize" it?

Thank you for your help.

ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ Marlene,

Maybe you can break down the text you want to translate into sentences and post them here one at a time, so members can try to convert them for you.

Yes, sort of. Please note that 'ϯ' is pronounced as a 'di' and it's different from 'ⲧ' which is pronounced as 'd'. The former ending (ϯ) in Bohairic is usually a ⲧⲉ (pronounced as a 'da') in Sahidic. So ⲛⲟⲩϯ (noudi) in Bohairic becomes ⲛⲟⲩⲧⲉ (nouda) in Sahidic. This is similar to ϣⲉⲛⲟⲩϯ (shanoudi) which becomes ϣⲉⲛⲟⲩⲧⲉ (shanouda; we still pronounce it this way till today) in Sahidic.

ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ,
ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

« Last Edit: 14 January , 2023, 11:07:24 PM by ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ »

22 January , 2023, 09:22:15 AM
Reply #2

Offline ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

• People said thank you: 8

« Reply #2 on: 22 January , 2023, 09:22:15 AM »
Ok I'll do exactly as you said, thank you for your suggestion.  It is structured somewhat like poetry, so here is the first stanza:

Ⲡⲟⲩⲁ ϩⲛ̄ⲛⲉϥϩⲱⲃ, ⲟⲩⲁ ⲛⲟⲩⲱⲧ ϩⲛ ⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ:
Ⲡⲕⲟ ⲉⲧ ⲛⲉⲥⲱϥ ⲛ̄ ϭⲓⲛⲥⲱⲟⲩϩ ⲛ̄ⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ.
ⲧⲁⲡⲉ ⲛ̄ⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ ⲧⲏⲣⲟⲩ:
ⲡⲛⲏⲃ ⲛ̄ⲧⲙⲉ, ⲡⲉⲓⲱⲧ ⲛ̄ⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ.

ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ Marlene,

If you don't mind me asking, who wrote this text?  ???

Anyway, the Bohairic version of this text shouldn't be that different from the Sahidic one. Kindly find my attempt to convert your text from Sahidic to Bohairic. Please note that I wasn't sure about two words: ⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ (seems like a place to me) and ⲡⲕⲟ (bull; maybe someone's name?  ???), so I left the former as it is, but slightly modified the latter.

Ⲡⲟⲩⲁ ϩⲛ̄ⲛⲉϥϩⲱⲃ, ⲟⲩⲁ ⲛⲟⲩⲱⲧ ϩⲛ ⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ:
ⲫⲟⲩⲁⲓ ϧⲉⲛ ⲛⲉϥϩⲱⲃ, ⲟⲩⲁⲓ `ⲛⲟⲩⲱⲧ ϧⲉⲛ ⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ:
ب واي خَن نَف هوب، واي إن وّوت خَن نَندار

Ⲡⲕⲟ ⲉⲧ ⲛⲉⲥⲱϥ ⲛ̄ ϭⲓⲛⲥⲱⲟⲩϩ ⲛ̄ⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ.
`ⲡⲭⲟ ⲉⲑⲛⲉⲥⲱϥ `ⲛϫⲓⲛⲑⲱⲟⲩϯ `ⲛⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ.
إبكو أت نَصوُف إن چين طا أودي إن نَندار

ⲧⲁⲡⲉ ⲛ̄ⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ ⲧⲏⲣⲟⲩ:
ⲧⲁⲫⲉ `ⲛⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ ⲧⲏⲣⲟⲩ:
د أبا إن نَندار دارو

ⲡⲛⲏⲃ ⲛ̄ⲧⲙⲉ, ⲡⲉⲓⲱⲧ ⲛ̄ⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ.
ⲫⲛⲏⲃ `ⲛϯⲙⲓ, `ⲫⲓⲱⲧ `ⲛⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ.
إب ناب إن ديمي، إب يوت إن نَندار

ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ,
ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ
« Last Edit: 22 January , 2023, 01:49:00 PM by ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ »

08 July , 2023, 04:04:43 PM
Reply #3

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• People said thank you: 12

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
« Reply #3 on: 08 July , 2023, 04:04:43 PM »
I want to add that no there is no fixed rules to go from Sahidic to Boahiric and this applies to any dialects in the world.

There are words in Boahiric that completely differ from its Sahidic counterpart. For example `ⲛⲉⲛⲧⲏⲣ` is Sahidic for `ⲛⲓⲛⲟⲩϯ` which as you can see don't look that similar.

ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ did a great job translating the other words but again there is no fixed rule

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11