Our Coptic language > Ask

nai nai

<< < (2/3) > >>

Admin:
I don't know,
The second word doesn't seems to be NAI
It could be something like IVN or IHN (or I something N)
this letter in the middle is not Coptic Letter for sure

even if it is Nai Nai I don't know why would any one write the word's pronunciation instead of writing the word it self

If it is coptic it should be written like that NAI NHI (As you can see in the wallpaper)

nn:
I always thought the thing in the second line was a mirror-inverted nai. Thanks for making me aware that it could in fact be something else.

Don't you think, they could have used a Greek-based script as it appears in early Coptic manuscripts? The pendant, by the way, comes from a pre-Medieval context, probably a pilgrimage shrine.

Well, it's all very mysterious, but identifying the inscription as the Greek yes, yes would make no sense at all.

Thanks again,

Best,
nn

Admin:
Well Coptic alphabet consist of 24 letter from Greek and 7 letters derived from the Demotic
This table show the Coptic letters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:CopticLetters.png
and as you can see the first 24 letter are very similar to Greek

although the Coptic fonts in the old manuscripts varies a lot (especially the Demotic letters), I have never never seen letter like the one in the second line

I don't know which period is called pre-Medieval, but if it is before the 200 A.C then is it less likely to be Coptic letters or maybe very primitive form of it

nn:
Sorry, I could have been more precise: with pre-Medieval I meant 5th to early 8th century AD.

Thanks a lot,

nn

Admin:
This pendant is the only thing you have that contains such writing?
If yes, then i am afraid there is no much to do
Am I sorry I couldn't help

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go to full version