Advanced Search

Author Topic: The Meaning of "Bnouda"  (Read 5044 times)

20 April , 2007, 10:58:39 PM
Read 5044 times

Offline kevinbob

• People said thank you: 0

The Meaning of "Bnouda"
« on: 20 April , 2007, 10:58:39 PM »
Thanks for your help in advance.
My father and grandfather's name is "Bnouda" but we pronunce it right now as "Bannuodi"
I tried to know the meaning of this name, someone told me it is a Coptic name?? is that true, and if it is, what is the correct name? what does it mean (in Arabic or English)? and how do we pronunce it correctly?
I'm expecting a baby, and I want to call him "Bannoudi" as well!
Thank you very much

21 April , 2007, 02:36:35 AM
Reply #1

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• People said thank you: 12

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
Re: The Meaning of "Bnouda"
« Reply #1 on: 21 April , 2007, 02:36:35 AM »
OK we are talking here in two Coptic dialects Bohairic and Sahidic
Bnouda Ⲡⲛⲟⲩⲧⲉ is in the Sahidic dialect and means GOD or (The GOD) this word is pronounced Bnoudi Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ in the Bohairic Dialect

Bannuodi ⲡⲉⲛⲛⲟⲩϯ is in Bohairic Dialect and it means "Our GOD"

If you have a microphone you can record your voice while pronouncing them just to be sure that you have spelled them correctly

I don't believe then some one would call his son with such names, but those words has no other meanings
and it can not be coincidence

Of course I recommend you NOT to use such names (If you believe in GOD anyway)
But I can provide some similar Coptic alternatives
Ⲡⲁⲡⲛⲟⲩⲧⲉ babnouda means belonging to GOD (Sahidic Dialect)
Ϣⲉⲛⲟⲩⲧⲉ Shanouda means son of GOD (Sahidic Dialect)
Ϣⲉⲛⲟⲩϯ Shanoudi means son of GOD (Bohairic Dialect)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Amazingly the names you gave to us are pronounced in its Original Coptic pronunciation before it get altered http://kame.danacbe.com/index.php?topic=2.0

those names are valuable resources to us, do you have more names that you think it is in COPTIC?

22 April , 2007, 09:10:04 AM
Reply #2

Offline kevinbob

• People said thank you: 0

« Reply #2 on: 22 April , 2007, 09:10:04 AM »
First of all I would like to thank you because you resolved this big puzzle for me.

What my family knew about this name "bannoudi" that it means something like "Abd El Maseeh" in Arabic, which is a popular name in Syria. I don't know from where my grand grand father has got this name to his son (who is born in 1876) and then my father (who is born in 1941) got the same name?? and I'm supposed to give the same name to my son as well, but I insisted that I need to know the exact meaning of this word.

Once again, I want to make sure that it means "God" as "Allah" for us as Christians? and it's not something like the name "Issa" which is the name of Jesus Christ in Arabic? or as "Abd El Maseeh"? I beleive in God and in Jesus Christ, and would like to call my son a name which inspires him to live a good life as a good Christian. I wanted to call him Peter, because I like St. Peter a lot, but due to our traditions, I should call him "bannoudi" like my father's name!!

I don't know any other Coptic name, I'm Syrian and as I told you I don't even know how did we get this name in our Family!

Thank you very much again for your help and time.

22 April , 2007, 10:37:09 AM
Reply #3

Offline Admin

• Administrator

• People said thank you: 12

• Ⲧⲉⲛⲁⲥⲡⲓ
« Reply #3 on: 22 April , 2007, 10:37:09 AM »
the word bannoudi  بَننودي has two parts
the prefix ban (ⲡⲉⲛ) *the letter "a" here is pronounced like fatha in Arabic* and it means Our
and Noudi (Ⲛⲟⲩϯ) means God

إبنودي معناها الله و ممكن ان تاتي بمعني الإله
إوو نودي معناها اله و المقطع إوو هنا يفيد التنكير اي ان الكلمة مفرد نكرة
بًننودي معناها الهنا و كما قلت هي من جزئين بَن (توجد فتحه على حرف الباء) معناها ملكية للجمع و نودي اله

كلمة يسوع هي إيسووس
و المسيح خريستوس
و كلمة عبد المسيح هي إبوكي إم بخرستوس

ممكن تسمي ابنك بَبنودي بدلا من بَننودي
فيصير معنى الاسمي المنتمي او المنتسب لله

و ممكن ان تسميه ايضا شا نودي و معناها ابن الله
« Last Edit: 22 April , 2007, 10:43:21 AM by Admin »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11