Our Coptic language > Old pronunciation vs new debate

"Real" pronunciation of Coptic H

(1/4) > >>

CЄTMOCЄ:
Is there a rule which says when Coptic H is pronounced as "aa" and when as "ii"?

How are the Egyptian Gods CHT (Seth) and HCЄ (Isis) pronounced in reconstructed/late Coptic pronunciation? Saat, Aasa? [or Siit, Iisa?]

Admin:
I would recommend reading Emil Maher's research about letter pronunciation.
You will find a section for the letter H
http://copticsounds.wordpress.com/tag/fr-shenouda-maher-ishak/

Admin:
anyway even until now differ Egyptians interchange the letters a and e .
so some would say "tala3" or "tele3" for the word "went up"
"nazal" or "nezel" for the word went.

For Isis her original name was most likely Ise or Isa not asa because Greek usually change end of the names not the beginning.
For Seth, probably it was sat or s(ae)t but I am not so sure.

By the way from where did you find the names of the God's in Coptic?

Anaksunamun:

--- Quote from: CЄTMOCЄ on 28 January , 2014, 08:51:21 PM ---Is there a rule which says when Coptic H is pronounced as "aa" and when as "ii"?

How are the Egyptian Gods CHT (Seth) and HCЄ (Isis) pronounced in reconstructed/late Coptic pronunciation? Saat, Aasa? [or Siit, Iisa?]

--- End quote ---

From my personal research I've done I've understood that Coptic "H" many times comes from an original Ancient Egyptian "u", so for example:
CHT (Ancient Eg: Sútak = Coptic: Seet)
HCЄ (Ancient Eg: ?úsat  = Coptic Ee-seh or Eh-seh, variously pronounced)

Coptic,  I've learned has changed their own pronunciation through time diverging even further to the way it was originally pronounced and has no bearing on the Ancient Egyptian pronunciation which was not influenced by Greek, Persian or Arabic the way Coptic pronunciation was and still has been influenced with.
For example I'm not 100 percent certain when it comes to 'a vs ae'  between Coptic 'E'  only because Modern Egyptian Arabic utilizes it as a colloquial pronunciation, and who knows if that originally was because the ancient Egyptians pronounced "ae" under certain phonetic environments and it has indirectly influenced modern Arabic through Coptic or if it was ONLY used by Arabs, this is something I need to research further to have a better understanding.

Admin:
Its the first time for me to know that H had original u sound in ancient Egypt.
Would you like to give some examples about that?
Also I am pretty sure hieroglyphics didn't write down the vowels so how did you know Seth's name was Sutak?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 
Go to full version