Advanced Search

Author Topic: How do you say (Asking about and responding about the day)  (Read 3086 times)

26 February , 2021, 11:06:04 PM
Read 3086 times

Noha Elkammah

Hi I am working on an App hopefully to teach coptic,
Could someone help me translate the following in Sahidic?

1) How is you day?
2) How was your day?
3) How is your work?
4) How is your cat?
5) How is your vacation?

6) I studied Coptic
7) I played guitar
8) my work was very tiring
9) I went to the beach
10) I stayed home

27 February , 2021, 09:01:22 AM
Reply #1

Offline ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

• People said thank you: 8

Re: How do you say (Asking about and responding about the day)
« Reply #1 on: 27 February , 2021, 09:01:22 AM »
ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ ⲛⲟϩⲁ,

First of all, good luck with your Coptic teaching app.! I hope you plan to make it available for all Coptic learners.

Apologies, I don't know enough Sahidic so I'll translate into the Bohairic dialect. I'll be answering some of your questions out of my head stack ;). That means, someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Since most people don't know the IPA system, I wrote down the authentic pronunciation* in Arabic letters, hoping you'll find it useful. I mostly used Arabic 'fat-ha' to represent the Coptic 'ⲉ' letter while Arabic 'alef' to represent the Coptic 'ⲁ'. However, Coptic 'ⲉ' is more like an 'ɛ' in IPA [1], while Coptic 'ⲁ' is more like an 'a' in IPA [2]. You can listen to the pronunciation in the links to get a better idea about the differences between the two. So 'ⲁ' in not a long 'ⲉ'.

1) How is you day?
I'll assume that it's the same as "how're you?".

If you're addressing a male:
ⲁϣ ⲡⲉ ⲡⲉⲕⲣⲏϯ?
آش بَ بَك رادي؟

If you're addressing a female:
ⲁϣ ⲡⲉ ⲡⲉⲣⲏϯ?
آش بَ بَ رادي؟

For Sahidic, I've seen people use the following before:
ⲁϣ ⲧⲉ ⲧⲉⲕϩⲉ?
آش دَ دَكها
ⲁϣ ⲧⲉ ⲧⲟⲩϩⲉ?
آش دَ دوها

2) How was your day?
ⲁϣ ⲡⲉ `ⲫⲣⲏϯ `ⲙⲡⲉⲕⲉϩⲟⲟⲩ?
آش بَ إبرادي إم بَك أهوو؟

ⲁϣ ⲡⲉ `ⲫⲣⲏϯ `ⲙⲡⲉⲉϩⲟⲟⲩ?
آش بَ إبرادي إم بَ أهوو؟

4) How is your cat?
If you're addressing a male about a female cat:
ⲁϣ ⲡⲉ `ⲫⲣⲏϯ `ⲛⲧⲉⲕϣⲁⲩ?
آش بَ إبرادي إن تَك شاو

If you're addressing a male about a male cat:
ⲁϣ ⲡⲉ `ⲫⲣⲏϯ `ⲙⲡⲉⲕϣⲁⲩ?
آش بَ إبرادي إم بَك شاو

If you're addressing a female about a female cat:
ⲁϣ ⲡⲉ `ⲫⲣⲏϯ `ⲛⲧⲉϣⲁⲩ?
آش بَ إبرادي إن تَ شاو

If you're addressing a female about a male cat:
ⲁϣ ⲡⲉ `ⲫⲣⲏϯ `ⲙⲡⲉϣⲁⲩ?
آش بَ إبرادي إم بَ شاو

You can also use ⲉⲙⲟⲩ instead of ϣⲁⲩ.

6) I studied Coptic
ⲁⲓϭⲓⲥⲃⲱ `ⲛϯⲁⲥⲡⲓ`ⲛⲣⲉⲙⲛⲭⲏⲙⲓ
أي شي اسوّو إن دي أسبي إن رَمنكامي
or
ⲁⲓϭⲓⲥⲃⲱ `ⲛϯⲙⲉⲧⲣⲉⲙⲛⲭⲏⲙⲓ
أي شي اسوّو إن دي ماد رَمنكامي

9) I went to the beach
I went to the beach:
ⲁⲓ`ⲓ `ⲉⲡⲭⲣⲟ
أي إي أ بكرو
or
I went to the sea (as Egyptian say it nowadays)
ⲁⲓ`ⲓ `ⲉⲫⲓⲟⲙ
أي إي أ فيوم

10) I stayed home
I stayed at home
ⲁⲓϣⲱⲡⲓ ϧⲉⲛ ⲡⲏⲓ
أي شوبي خَن بأي
or
I sat at home
ⲁⲓϩⲉⲙⲥⲓ ϧⲉⲛ ⲡⲏⲓ
أي هَمسي خَن بأي

Hope this helps!
ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ,
ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

* The authentic pronunciation (aka. late-Coptic) differs from the ecclesiastical pronunciation used by the Church (aka. the greco-coptic pronunciation) in the sound of some letters.
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mid_front_unrounded_vowel
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_front_unrounded_vowel
« Last Edit: 27 February , 2021, 09:49:29 AM by ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ »

27 February , 2021, 11:41:58 PM
Reply #2

Offline ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

« Reply #2 on: 27 February , 2021, 11:41:58 PM »
ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ!
ⲛⲟϥⲣⲓ!

Wow, ϣⲉⲡϩⲙⲟⲧ so much for this answer!
ⲙⲙⲟⲛ ϩⲗⲓ!

Yes, this will be a free app, I still have some months to go, but once I finish I will announce here.
I intend to make it with similar (but better) structure as Duolingo.
Very nice. Keep up the good work! It would really be of great help to Coptic learners, specially if it can provide a similar learning experience as the one provided by Duolingo. I just hope that the app would be teaching the authentic pronunciation instead of the ecclesiastical one in case it includes voice.

The biggest challenge is the content and explanation as I am researching myself.
May be you can, with permission*, rely on the following lessons for the content:
They release a new video every Friday, and each one is divided into 3 parts: (1) kids lesson, (2) Coptic in Arabic lesson, and (3) Coptic in English lesson.

I understood that possestion adjective can be ⲡεκ for masculine obj, I tried to look for "`ⲙⲡⲉⲕⲉ" but I didnt find it in this book.
What do you think?
Indeed it is 'ⲡⲉⲕ' for masculine objects and not 'ⲡⲉⲕⲉ'. The 'ⲉ' after 'ⲡⲉⲕ' is the first letter of the object itself (not the possessive adjective) , in this case 'ⲉϩⲟⲟⲩ' Bohairic for 'day' which you probably confused with Sahidic 'ϩⲟⲟⲩ' with the same meaning ;)

So let me break it down for you:
ⲁϣ ⲡⲉ `ⲫⲣⲏϯ `ⲙⲡⲉⲕⲉϩⲟⲟⲩ?

ⲁϣ: what
ⲡⲉ: a copula (note that it's not a verb)
ⲫ: masculine definite article (i.e. 'the') which comes before the following letters: ⲃ, ⲓ, ⲗ, ⲙ, ⲛ, ⲟ, and ⲣ. Otherwise we use 'ⲡ'. Note that there's also 'ⲡⲓ', the strong definite article which is used when we want to be more precise in case the listener doesn't exactly know which noun the speaker is referring to.
ⲣⲏϯ: condition/status (حالة)
ⲙ: possession marker that comes before ⲡ, ⲫ, ⲃ, ⲙ and ⲯ (otherwise we use ⲛ). Like 'of' in English or 'de' in Spanish, it relates ⲣⲏϯ to ⲡⲉⲕⲉϩⲟⲟⲩ i.e. the status 'of' your day.
ⲡⲉⲕ: masculine 2nd person (i.e. masculine you) possessive adjective for a masculine object
ⲉϩⲟⲟⲩ: day/يوم/نهار (a masculine word)

Source: https://ia803007.us.archive.org/28/items/copticlanguage/Coptic%20Language.pdf
Please note that this document uses the ecclesiastical pronunciation not the authentic one. The ecclesiastical is currently used in Hymns but if you intend to use Coptic for day-to-day conversations then it's the authentic pronunciation. For a starter, you can try the following sources:

Hope that helped!
ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ,
ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

You probably could contact: https://www.facebook.com/george.sedhom.75
« Last Edit: 22 March , 2021, 09:50:18 AM by ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ »

28 February , 2021, 09:04:00 AM
Reply #3

Offline ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

« Reply #3 on: 28 February , 2021, 09:04:00 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to answer the following part of your question:
Also for the first sentence, I meant "How is your day", Would it be the same sentence as "How was your day"?

Like I mentioned in my previous reply 'ⲡⲉ' is a copula not a verb (i.e. not verb to be), which means that we can't conjugate it to other tenses. The people taking part in this conversation should be able to figure it out from the context (e.g., the use of the adverb `ⲛⲥⲁϥ -> yesterday would definitely mean the question was in the past). Also, sometimes we add 'ⲛⲉ' to beginning of the sentence to indicate the past (gives the meaning of كان). Finally, I'm not sure but I think that both "How is your day?" and "How was your day?" were not literally attested in Coptic literature, and the de-facto standard way to ask about someone's well-being is just "ⲁϣ ⲡⲉ ⲡⲉⲕⲣⲏϯ?" which approximately translates to "How're you?".

ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ,
ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ
« Last Edit: 28 February , 2021, 03:14:48 PM by ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ »

04 March , 2021, 04:26:46 PM
Reply #4

Offline ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

« Reply #4 on: 04 March , 2021, 04:26:46 PM »
Thank a lot for the content and explanation
ⲙⲙⲟⲛ ϩⲗⲓ! (ⲙⲙⲟⲛ: no, ϩⲗⲓ: something => it's nothing. i.e. you're welcome)

I will be checking out all of the links to improve my reading and speaking.The detailed explanation you gave me per word, helps me be able to add the same in the application.
I'm glad it helped!

I will be using the authentic pronounciation, and yes the app will including the recording of every word, I will record them myself.
ⲙⲓⲟ ⲉⲙⲁϣⲟ! (ⲙⲓⲟ: bravo (to a female), ⲉⲙⲁϣⲟ: very much)

Understood, I think it would be good to add just to be able to express different ideas. As in the lesson I wish the "characters" to specifically answer about their day, what they did.
ⲛⲁⲛⲉⲥ. (ⲛⲁⲛⲉⲥ: good)

In order to get feedback to improve the app, I could, make a test APK (Android), and share it on this forum. I will aim to do that by the end of the week. The app does not have except 1 lesson so far (Greetings), as thats all the knowledge I have till now.
Well you've to start somewhere :) Let'us know if you need any further help.

ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ,
ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

09 March , 2021, 07:29:26 PM
Reply #5

Offline ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ

« Reply #5 on: 09 March , 2021, 07:29:26 PM »
ⲛⲁⲛⲉ ⲣⲟⲩϩⲓ ⲛⲟϩⲁ,

Wonderful this is really great news. I would really recommend that you make an announcement at the following Facebook groups, the reason is that they receive much more traffic than here on the forums. I still prefer these good old forums at any time, though you have to target the people:
You'll be able to receive more feedback from the folks there.

for the second lesson I will start a new post to get data for common present tense verbs, and a story/conversation idea.

Sure thing. We will be glad to help you anytime.

Keep up the good work!
ⲟⲩϫⲁⲓ,
ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ
« Last Edit: 22 March , 2021, 09:50:50 AM by ⲡⲓⲙⲟⲩⲓ »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11